On the road PT. 1

It was just US, us and the open road, our most favorite thing. I don't think either of us have ever been so excited for anything in our lives. It wasn't the destination, it was the journey, it was the unexpected, and it was exciting. We had ten days to cram in as much of America as we could and explore all the places we have planned out for months. Those ten days felt like a lifetime when we were on the road, and then suddenly they weren't long enough. I miss it being just us, with no plans, no schedule, no set path. If I could road trip for the rest of my life with Austin, I definitely would. These are just a few series of moments shared from our trip three months ago. 


               
Mono Lake, California. The Start of our road trip after a long hike in Mount Whitney.



After a day of traveling through California, we crossed the boarder into Oregon to a town called Medford where Austin's Aunt Becky, Uncle Larry, and Rachel live. I think we were both super blessed and excited to have the opportunity to stay and visit with them, especially since I never really got the chance to know them super well and it was my first time up to Oregon. The morning after we went to get coffee with them at a drive through chain called Dutch Brothers followed by a Rooster Parade and Festival.

Becky, Rachel, Austin, and I


   

                                                   
Grants Pass, Oregon



     
Portland, one of my most looked forward to stops and favorite places on our road trip. Though our stay in Portland was short lived, and a mere four hours, I had such an incredible time and it left a huge impact on me. I can remember approaching the city and it being one of the first places on our road trip with mild traffic. Trust me anything outside of the Los Angeles area is mild when it comes to traffic. Anyways, I see the city skyline, and my heart begins to race. I have been dreaming of coming here for a long time, and it was finally happening. Of course, the first thing I wanted to do was "Portlandia" site see.The first thing I looked up was the feminist book store "In Other Words" which is where Candice and Toni sketches are from. After that we explored downtown, of course our time management skills suck and everything we wanted to do (coffee shop stalk) was closed for the night. Voodoo doughnuts line was outrageous, so we skipped that and went searching for some awesome vegan food, which wasn't hard to find. Shortly after I discovered a less busy Voodoo Doughnut location and got my fix, and was truly satisfied with my first experience there. It was time to get on course again, and make our way to Washington.



     
We drove for several hours when we both got to our breaking point of being too tired. It was late, it was dark, and podcasts could no longer grasp our attention. There were no rest stops and the road was open. We needed a place to sleep, and so this was one of three times we would wimp out and get a hotel room to stay in. Austin and I both love our sleep so much, we also love getting our moneys worth. So what did we do, instead of getting an early start we stayed in bed until check out, which was noon. Since we were only about two hours from Seattle, we stopped in to say hello. A fun few hours wondering back streets, drinking coffee, and eating awesome thai food.
Now, I don't have many pictures of Seattle, because honestly though I loved it there, the rest of Washington was way more enchanting. We made our way up to Vancouver and spent a day and a half of long driving adventures there. We stopped at an awesome vegetarian bar called the "Black Lodge" after David Lynch's Twin Peaks. We drank awesome coffee from awesome coffee shops. We walked around Stanley Park. Canada, it didn't get much better. This was only my second time out of our country, I was very excited.










0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Follow on Bloglovin

Meet The Author

Allie O,
24
I'm a Pennsylvania native, starting over again in Pittsburgh
I'm a wife, barista, hairstylist, adventurer